BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Tuesday...

Yassas ya'll! (Yassas is the formal or plural "hello") I have been working really hard at learning a few Greek words, so that I can attempt to speak to the nationals in their own language, or at least show that I am making an effort. I didn't realize until one of the other volunteers speaking of his mistake, that the first few mornings, I was walking around saying "Squid" to the hotel staff (Calamari= squid, Kalimera= good morning) Hehehe! No wonder I was getting some strange looks!

Yesterday was a long, full day. We did our full day with the kids, then after supper, the older groups met their groups and the amphitheater and did crowd control until each age group came up and sang for the other M's. The parents seemed to really enjoy watching their children sing the songs with their other american friends.

We baby workers got a break and just sat back and watched and enjoyed. Of course, I heard the various babies crying at different points through the evening, and had to chuckle at the fact that even though the crowd was big, I knew exactly which baby was crying.

After the recognition of the childcare volunteers (at which we were presented with a small hand-painted soap dish and some soap) we headed back to the hotel to repack, and prepare for the next phase of our trip. It was a bittersweet evening, as we said goodbye to our new friends.

This was the first entire Euro AGM conference since '91. There were about 1,200 people at this conference... workers, M's, MK's etc. There were close to 400 children that we provided childcare for. And M's from every country imaginable. It truly was exciting to be a part...

After breakfast at 7 this morning, we loaded up on our bus for the sight seeing portion of the trip. We have been joined by a lovely couple from Tennessee, so there are 16 of us touring together. We have a lovely, air-conditioned bus, and a tour guide who is just awesome. She is also our sister, and is able to point out things that are important, or of interest in NT history. She speaks English BEAUTIFULLY! (A real blessing)

For those who wish to know, we will be touring Meteora today, and spending the night in a small village at the foot of the mountains. Then Delphi, Epidouros and Athens. I'm collecting pics little by little. As soon as I get a decent bit of internet connection I'll post a few pics here, and a link to the album.

I imagine that by now, you all have figured out why I was asked to communicate with everyone back home... apparently, I have the "gift of gab." We are currently riding on the bus (A 5 hour drive) and I am going to sign off and enjoy the scenery for a bit. I'll be posting this sometime in the next 48 hours :)

0 comments: